Tag Archives: Bicentenial

Museum Opens for 18th Season [1976]

Skenesborough Museum is now officially open for its 18th season [in July 1976]. The theme “Whitehall – Navy, Lake, Canal, and Railroad” suggests the: type of exhibits displayed.

The Navy Room in the new Judge John J. O’Brien Memorial wing contains the Edward G. Farmer model of the 1776 Skenesborough Harbor and the Vergennes Shipyard of the War of 1812. Pictures and artifacts give further details.

The large room in its exhibits places emphasis on canal, lake and railroad history. Other exhibits tell of Whitehall history in fire department and farm and home implements. The names of the other rooms are the War Room, the Doll Room, the Admiral Potter Room, and the Skene’s Room gives a hint of their exhibits.

Rearrangement of the exhibits following the Horizon addition to the museum will continue. The assistance of many volunteers has made the opening possible at this time.

Doris B. Morton, Town Historian – The Whitehall Times – July 1, 1976